Friday, May 09, 2008

Onward

In truth I gave notice at my job two days ago, BUT this is because I was accepted into the Graduate School of Social Work at the University of Houston AND I was accepted into the volunteer program at a meditation retreat in Vermont for the month of July. Big changes on the horizon and an unbelievable month all to myself (it has been 16 years since I've had one of those!).

There has been some tense dramarama at my job post giving notice. My boss was actually very nice about me leaving, but there are other issues with other people and I will be glad to walk away from there in three more weeks.

In exchange for working 30 hours a week Monday-Friday here I will have the privilege of spending, room and board free, the month of July far from the wilting Houston heat. Much to my delight I was informed that the majority of work will be outside. This will hopefully detoxify me from the desk bound life I've been leading. I've already got the books I plan to read while there lined up, some fresh notebooks on hold as well as visits planned with two women I love and haven't seen in a while, one in Quebec and the other in Burlington.

The kids are spending two months with their grandmother on her farm in Argentina this summer and Juan will be watching all the crazy violent movies I can't take here at home.

Come August I will be in school once again. I'm excited about the program in large part because we are required to work at a community agency for 16 hours a week every semester. I'm a hands on kind of girl and think/hope that classes will be more interesting due to the fact that all the students will actually have real life experiences to bring to the theory and study of social issues.

One other thing I am looking forward to in July is no access to a computer. It's been at least 12 years since that has happened for more than a short bit of time. I plan to write letters something I did a lot more of before email entered my life!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I weren't attempting to stop feeding my ego I would admit to being jeajous.

Can't wait for June though!! =)

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The part about the movies made me laugh - I go to bed early on Fridays now and Jim & Cody watch stuff like I Am Legend.

Miss you!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's all this "dramarama"?

11:25 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Jeanne, that's all so exciting! all of it! I hear you on the violent movies. Chris and Tyler love anything with blood and guns. I'm often sequestered to bed with a book because I can't handle that vibration at all.

Oh, enjoy Vermont. I miss my New England so much!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Dear Chipper, whoever you might be. Things have simply been tense. I don't really understand asking this question anonymously. Dramarama is just a silly way of stating that things are tense and it isn't always fun.

Thanks for stopping by!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

You're free now!

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home