Saturday, May 12, 2007

Flashback...Fast Forward

Yesterday an old friend of mine sent me this picture...

I was 17 and in my very first apartment after a time spent squatting in an abandoned factory, and then in an abandoned house. The house was busted while I was on a whirlwind adventure to Virgina Beach in a car that was too small with a limited soundtrack (we had exactly one tape in the car; Metallica's Ride the Lightning). When I got back to DC all my stuff (conveniently stored in a big black trash bag) had been removed by the police, all I had left was what I was wearing. A few months, and several sofas later, I was living in a basement apartment in a building that was owned by a friend's father. I was the youngest tenant, but most of us were young, unemployed and irresponsible. These were my "dorm" years.

Now the fast forward...

We took my mother-in-law to San Antonio for the day. Somehow when I was 17 it seemed like I would always be 17. This past week I have been encountering my past at every turn...A friend sent me this book and I saw lots of familiar faces, including a picture of the friend who sent me the picture. I watched this movie and re-lived quite a few shows I went to, and I had two old friends find me via the internet. I plan to meet up with them, and my friend the photographer, when the girls and I head to DC in July.

Time marches on...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was having this same thought Friday.... I always thought I would be 24. Do you look in the mirror and still see that 17 year old looking back at you (and then realize it's more like your mother looking back at you??

Happy Mother's Day.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Just this past year I've started to see my age in my face (although it no doubt showed to others well before that!;-) When I think of an eternal age for myself it is 23 or 24...but I think my entire youth I was right there in the moment never imagining it would really pass....

8:47 AM  
Blogger Dorie said...

Something inside me still thinks I'm scandalously young. I think our heads get stuck inside our serious life markers, like leaving home, or having a kid

We watched Afro Punk this week and saw a familiar face or two. It was a little strange.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Well, if you're going to have only one tape in the car on a road trip I think you could do a whole lot worse than Ride The Lightning.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home