Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Food for Thought

The current edition of Orion Magazine has what is in my opinion a must read article The Idols of Environmentalism: Do environmentalists conspire against their own interests?

Once you read it you will see it is not coincidental that it is offered online free.

It goes a little deeper than the now de rigueur argument that we can't buy ourself out of trouble by shopping for energy efficient, organic, local, recycled etc. etc. to the very roots of what got us here in the first place; the way we think, live and the language that we use. The very roots of what makes us a society. I also appreciate his lament of our turn from nature as something transcendental to simply another resource.

I agree with his premise that we, as a society, are not ready to make the real changes required. I am so very sad that I think it will require great crisis for people to recognize what they must give up in order for any of us to make it. I am looking forward to the second part of the article.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home