Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Redwork Redux


I've been doing a bit of embroidery lately as I am tired of knitting. I started this last night and finished her this morning. We're calling her Miss Meow. I copied her off of a greeting card with a few modifications. I think I will send her on to my niece.

While stitching away I remembered a gorgeous redwork quilt I received for my 10th birthday. the Kliban Cats were very popular then and I asked for a Kliban quilt. My mother and aunt instead made me a redwork quilt with 16 panels, each depicting a cat in a different position. It had my name as well as theirs embroidered into the curves of different cat's tails. That quilt left home with me and my boyfriend and I slept together under that 10 year old girl quilt for 5 years. I have no idea what happened to it after we split up which makes me sad.

While sewing the front and back piece together I had to look up something in my sewing machine book. The machine belonged to my grandmother, who died when I was 13, and I found some notes she made in her lovely slanted cursive script. I felt at that moment very close to all the women in my family.

Finally, I thought it might be nice to look out from the screen for a change. Note crooked glasses...oh and new expression lines!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger sknittymama said...

I love your redwork cat - he is very endearing, so expressive. What stood out for me, though, in this post, is the regret we feel when hindsight reveals something to be more valuable than it seemed to be in the moment. It's inevitable, of course, as we move through life, that our priorities are constantly shifting, and with that shifting, things get left behind. The irony is that we often come back full circle. But at least you have the wonderful memory of that quilt - I wish I could see it! What a lovely gift from aunt.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Feltbug said...

Miss Meow is WOW !

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home