Thursday, January 04, 2007



....excessive internet usage, writer's block, monkey mind? In reality this is a bit of embroidery I did for a friend of mine and that happens to be the name of his email and knowing him his political philosophy; the resisting having to do with our current political system and state of affairs...But, right after I downloaded the picture I found out that Tilly Olsen has died and I thought it was an appropriate sentiment for her passing at 94 as well. She is one of my all time favorite authors and wrote the feminist classic Silences; a must read for any woman interested in putting pen to paper.

Speaking of writing I am trying to come to the table (it really is a table, not an actual desk) and put something on actual paper. This is where you'll find me....



I'm still not very happy with my current location, but must say that the best thing about this move is having a room of my own. It is open to the rest of the house, but I can decorate it the way I want (as opposed to in the style of the ascetic I live with;) and it has room for all the accoutrement of my crafty leanings.

I have come to the realization that I am not a knitter or a spinner. They are both things I enjoy doing, but I don't identify with them the way so many people seem to, there are too many other things I like to do as well. Maybe that's always been my problem, focus. I'm trying to look at it this year as less of a problem and as more of an opportunity. I would love to get a group of people together to do lots of different things; a stitch and bitch, but not necessarily just stitching: bookbinding, woodworking, collage, sketching, sewing etc. etc. A Church of Craft really, but I'm not sure that is exactly the route I want to take...

1 Comments:

Blogger sknittymama said...

I can relate to so many of the things you've articulated in your postings recently, it's as if you're writing down just what I've been thinking about - the lack of focus on ONE craft, the complexity of identifying yourself as one kind of crafter, when you "flit" amongst crafts, and the conflict of feelings towards this lovely blog community of crafters, who both "inspire" and "mire!" I'm right there with you. I'll admit that I've had a resurgence in productivity since commencing blogging, at the same time, I'm constantly warring between feelings of admiration and resentment (not good!) of some truly amazing crafters that I've come across. I often am amazed at how much they create, without much else seeming to suffer. Whereas, if I'm making something, EVERYTHING (cleaning, cooking, childrearing, paid work) suffers. Also, hear hear to regulating internet usage! It is VERY seductive and can just suck all the time out of your day where you could be creating. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home